Monday, March 12, 2007

An introduction

I knew something just wasn't right with me. Sometimes I would be happy, go-lucky, life of the party, while other times, I would have fits of rage, sadness and felt like I just wanted to end it all. I finally decided to seek mental help in the summer of 2006 and was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, with some anxiety and depression thrown in for good measure. As I started to research BPD, chills ran up my spine. It was as if I wrote the description myself.

The purpose of this blog is to document my daily struggle to overcome this disorder. That being said, let me tell you a little about myself. I am a 31 year old male, living in the USA. I am divorced with 2 children, whom I share joint custody with. I worked for nearly 10 years in the I.T. field until I realized last September that I hated it and I quit. I am currently in college, pursuing a career as a physical therapist.

It frustrates me to know end, how "normal" people take things for granted. I have to constantly remind myself of how I need to act. Whether it be at home with family or with a significant other. Since quitting my career, I lost my insurance, which meant no more psychiatrist and therapist visits and no more medication. Until I can sign up for low cost or free service, it will be especially hard, but I know I have to take one day at a time. I didn't develop this disorder overnight, so I won't beat it overnight. I just want to be happy...doesn't everybody?

No comments: