Thursday, July 26, 2007

The test

First real test happened a little over an hour ago. Sybil was getting a phone line and DSL. She wasn't able to get a dial tone, but if you called the number it would ring and not give you the error message. I assumed that the line was active and maybe it was just a problem with her phone. I told her that I could come by and look at it and she said that would be cool. Just about this time it started pouring down rain so I told her I was going to wait until the rain slowed down and then head over. About a half hour later I was heading out the door in a pretty good mood. As I get ready to turn into her apartment, she calls and says that her dad just came home and that I couldn't come over because he would think we were having sex or something. My mood flipped and I could feel a borderline moment coming on. She said her and her son were leaving out the door and that we could meet up somewhere. I did my best to remain cool on the phone but inside I wanted to scream.

We met up at McDonalds and I tried my best to get over it but it was hard. I didn't storm off or anything, I just kept quiet for the most part. After dinner we left and I returned home. I guess I have a hard time understanding her relationship with her father because I haven't lived with mine for so long. Even then my relationship with my parents is completely different. Hers is like a teenager/parent relationship and mine is more of a acquaintance relationship. I guess I'm not used to parents or anybody for that matter having any control over me. I'm doing my best to deal with it and trying to understand it though. I love her and thats all that matters.

1 comment:

nadcesca said...

You must be proud of yourself, Not talking to much was and still is one of my strategy to make sure I just don't lose it. Instead I listen.

As for her relationship with her father, most of the girls have a strong bond with their dad and fear to disapointed him. But I would say that if she afraid that you meet her parents that is a bad sign... either she as no self-esteem or she's still daddy's little girl and not a woman yet, meaning that she's not reading to be on her own. Just be careful. I would suggest that you either write her a letter or talk to her about how it makes you feel. Make sure you stick with the I and not you.