Thursday, August 30, 2007

The gift

Its kind of funny how things have a way of working out. I had a few jobs yesterday and as I was driving back from one of them, I had to drive past my school. I saw students walking to and from class and it really got me down that I was not one of them. I tried to shake it off the rest of the day, but it seemed to be in the back of my mind throughout the rest of the day. I even had thoughts of pulling out my emergency bag of pills and ending it later that night. Anyhow, I was in my room that evening when my grandmother came and told me that my uncles was here. This wasn't the uncle that used to live with us, but the uncle who owns the house we live at. I thought it was kind of strange for her to tell me this, but I went out to say hello. He said he had heard about my $1 financial aid and asked if I was able to register. I told him no, and that I would have to wait until the Fall II semester to go. Both him and my aunt both have Master's degrees and their 2 kids as well, so education is obviously very important to them. He then proceeds to tell me how he and my aunt wanted to help me out and he pulled out a check for $420. My initial reaction was to say that I couldn't it. I wanted to, but pride set in and I was also ashamed at the fact that I basically blew the money I had saved up for tuition. He insisted and I reluctantly accepted it. I am just not used to people doing nice things for me. I thanked him repeatedly as I fought to hold back tears. I'm even starting to tear up just writing this. It was a very humbling experience and one that I will never forget.

No comments: